Breaking Down Barriers: Cardo's New Firmware Update
For years, the motorcycle community has grappled with the frustrations of incompatible intercom systems. Riding with one group might mean using Sena headsets, while another group prefers Cardo. The result? A fragmented communication experience that can dampen the group riding experience. Recognizing this, Cardo Systems has launched a groundbreaking software update aimed at bridging the gap between the top two mesh network intercom technologies: Cardo DMC and Sena Mesh.
This latest update is a game-changer, offering a "Live Connection" that enhances the integration between Cardo and Sena headsets. It converts the traditional Bluetooth bridge connection into a dynamic, automatic reconnect feature. Whenever the connection drops, it effortlessly re-establishes itself, ensuring continuous communication among riders.
How It Works: A Seamless Integration
The process involves two designated headsets—one from Cardo and one from Sena—creating a Bluetooth bridge. This bridge acts as a conduit, allowing riders on different mesh networks to communicate on a single channel. Key to this system is the proximity requirement; the bridged units must stay within 90 meters (or 100 yards) to maintain the connection. This setup ensures that as long as the bridged riders remain connected, the entire group can enjoy uninterrupted communication, regardless of their individual system brands.
The Cardo Advantage: Simplifying Connectivity
Dan Emodi, Chief Marketing Officer at Cardo Systems, emphasizes that this update is more than just an improvement in connectivity. It represents Cardo's commitment to leading the way in communication technology within the powersports community. For existing Cardo users, accessing this new functionality is straightforward. By downloading the latest software version via the Cardo Connect app, riders can activate the enhanced connectivity features without the need for cables.
Setting up the bridge between Cardo DMC and Sena Mesh is simple:
- Prepare Both Systems: Set up Cardo DMC and Sena Mesh independently, ensuring the Sena unit has functioning Bluetooth intercom capabilities.
- Compatibility Check: Verify that your Cardo device is a 2nd generation DMC model, such as PACKTALK EDGE or NEO.
- Initiate Pairing: Use the Cardo Connect app to switch the Cardo unit to Bluetooth mode and start the intercom pairing. Do the same on the Sena side and wait for connection.
- Establish the Bluetooth Bridge: On the Cardo unit, tap the intercom button three times to open the bridge.
- Choose Bridging Units: Select one unit from each brand to serve as the bridge, ensuring they remain within the required proximity.
This innovative approach not only allows riders to stick with their preferred brand but also opens up opportunities for more inclusive group rides, regardless of the intercom system used.